Putting It All Together
Helaman 10-16
I wanted to write another post this week about something that stood out to me at the gathering this week. I have read through the chapters on Samuel the Lamanite many times in my life now and the lead student (student teacher) made a great point about what Samuel was there to teach the Nephites that I thought I would write my thoughts about it.
![]() |
| Samuel preaching on the wall lds.org |
Samuel was called to teach the Nephites about 4 main things and those things were:
1. For the Nephites to know the judgment of God.
2. The conditions of repentance.
3. About the coming of the Savior.
4. The signs of the coming of the Savior.
As I have been reading through the Book of Mormon this time I have time and again been struck by how truly the scriptures are written for our day. The Nephites were a chosen people who had access to all of the teachings of the Gospel. I am touched that Heavenly Father is so willing to give people one more chance to make the right choice! Samuel was there so that there would be no question for the Nephites what they needed to do before being destroyed. Samuel let the Nephites know that they needed to repent or be destroyed.
Heavenly Father then instructed Samuel to let the Nephites know what repentance is and how to do it. He didn't just say "Tell them to repent or be destroyed." He said, "You need to repent and this is how to do it." I think there are many times in our lives that the Spirit will instruct us on what we need to do if we will listen.
I think that it was so important that Samuel was instructed to teach about the coming of the Savior. Our goal is to return to live with Heavenly Father and the Savior is the way that it is possible. I think that those that showed the faith to repent before the Atonement happened are so amazing! I am so grateful for the hope that the gospel gives us, they had the promise that a Savior was coming!
And last Samuel needed to instruct the Nephites on what the signs were. It was very important for them to recognize the Savior, it is important for all of us. We, like the Nephites have been given signs of what it will be like when the Savior returns. If we are faithful and watchful then we will know Him when He comes. I think it was important for them to know the signs because it gives hope and some kind of structure for what we are to be watching for.
I think that what Samuel taught the Nephites is just as important for us today. We need to be living the gospel, repenting and watching for the Savior to come again. I worry as I watch the news that we are getting dangerously close to the kind of wickedness that will require the same judgement the Nephites were facing. When that happens I try to focus on what I need to be doing every day, and I try to take peace that if I am living the gospel I do not need to be worried. This is a good reminder of what I need to do better.

No comments:
Post a Comment